Monday 24 September 2007

Self destruction

Not managed any self replication yet but my machine has done a bit of self destruction!

While doing some experiments running my extruder at different speeds and temperatures, I managed to run it at too low a temperature such that it forced the PTFE barrel out of its clamp. That broke off one of the heater wires under the JB Weld. Fortunately I was able to dig out the end of the nichrome and reconnect it. I soldered the joint but that is not the best idea as solder melts at 183°C and I am running my barrel at about 200°C. The heater gets a bit hotter than that. Presumably molten solder is still a good conductor. The ideal way to make the connection would be with a miniature barrel crimp but I don't know if they exist. Here it is repaired :-



Clamping a very slippery plastic rod with a clamp made out of a slightly less slippery plastic is probably not the best design.

I seem to spend as much time stripping down and rebuilding my extruder as I do running it. Looking on the bright side at least the thermistor didn't fall off again despite some rough treatment. Here it is all back together again and working :-

3 comments:

  1. I once made my own inline connection in a tight spot by cutting off and discarding the blade from a spade connector, and crimping both wires together in the collar piece that remained. The oven is still working a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, I will try that when I make my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Clamping a very slippery plastic rod with a clamp made out of a slightly less slippery plastic is probably not the best design."

    Yup, that aspect of the Mk II design was the first thing I changed when I designed the Mk 1 AEM extruder. While a friction grip on what is arguably the slipperiest polymer out there, viz, PTFE might work for CAPA it's looking for trouble when you need to create higher extruder barrel pressures.

    ReplyDelete